The name of the art gallery is applied to those establishments whose main objective is the public arrangement and exhibition of different works of art, usually visual arts such as painting or sculpture. Art galleries are establishments in most cases private, so one cannot enter them freely as with museums. In addition, the art galleries are in charge of exhibiting the works with which it has the ultimate aim of selling them, unlike what happens with museums that exhibit them publicly. Art galleries can be very varied, with some very large with huge collections and others very small dedicated to a few artists.
In art galleries, one can find endless possibilities as each gallery specializes in a particular type of art: classic, modern, avant-garde, etc. Usually, the prices of the works of art that are owned are very high and that is why art galleries are always attended by people with money who are dedicated to the selection of works of art. Many times, galleries sell their works to private collections, but other times they can also sell them to museums, making these works part of their permanent and non-itinerant collection.
The gallery owner is a professional who has academic training in humanistic sciences related to art and cultural management. He usually receives proposals from artists which is a great motivation, from which promises will emerge from new figures whom he will help to consecrate.
Main Functions Of The Gallery Owner
- Search for works among collectors and museums
- Management of the transport logistics of the works
- You agree with the client’s transport conditions, safety, thermal insulation system anti-humidity, and temperature fire detection or claims.
- Check the insurance contract before transporting them
- Carry out import and export procedures, customs formalities, and transfer requirements for cultural property according to current legislation.
- Monitoring of the works and constant information to the client
- It takes care of the organization and filing of the documentation after the service
- Coordinate the assembly of the exhibition with the designer
- Manages the drafting and editing of the catalog for the exhibition
Galleries have their detractors, but they are essential pieces to regulate the art market and for the artist to channel the dissemination of his work through them.
Every day more, you have the means and tools to directly manage all the stages through which your work has to pass until it reaches the final audience, but it is the gallery that guarantees the credibility of your real price in a complex market and with a wide and varied offer.
The art gallery is the physical space that summons and brings together the agents involved in the various sections through which artistic production has to pass until it is immersed in the supply and demand of collecting.
The art critic goes to the gallery, who is the one who has to translate the work on display at an aesthetic and conceptual level. For the collector, the figure of the gallery owner is an endorsement because he receives information, investor orientation, and purchase guarantee.